Welcome to Sociology!
This website offers a stockpile of pertinent information about the undergraduate program in Sociology.
If you are a first-year student who is mulling over his or her options, you have come to the right place! Please take a moment to check out what Sociology is, find out what kinds of courses you can take, learn how to major or minor in Sociology, catch a glimpse of what kinds of projects our current students are doing, and get a preview what graduates of our program can do with their degrees in the real world.
Our program is challenging but flexible, and many of our majors combine Sociology with a major or a minor in another department or program. Some students think of Sociology as a program that allows them the intellectual freedom to explore their true interests during their college years, while other students think of the program as a way to supplement or complement another course of study. There are almost as many ways to incorporate Sociology into a Northwestern education as there are Northwestern undergraduates!
Have a look around, and please feel free to get in touch with me if you find yourself asking questions that our website cannot answer.
Thanks for your interest!
Director of Undergraduate Studies
What Can You Do With a Sociology Degree?
Good Classes for First-Year Students
Intro to Sociology (SOCIOL 110-0) and all 200-level courses. Occasionally, first year students also take 300-level courses.For Fall 2017 seats have been reserved for first-year students in the following classes:
- SOCIOL 101-6-20 First-Year Seminar: Scandals and Reputations with Prof. Fine
- SOCIOL 101-6-21 First-Year Seminar: The Sociology of Chicago with Prof. Pattillo
- SOCIOL 101-6-22 First-Year Seminar: Why Are Some Countries Richer Than Others? with Prof. Mahoney
- SOCIOL 110-0-20 Introduction to Sociology with Prof. Finch
- SOCIOL 206-0-20 Law & Society with Prof. Grisinger
- SOCIOL 207-0-20 Cities in Society with Prof. Pattillo
- SOCIOL 208-0-20 Race and Society with Prof. Stewart
- SOCIOL 212-0-20 Environment & Society with Prof. Thistle
- SOCIOL 218-0-20 Education & Inequality: Focus on Chicago with Prof. Snyder
For a complete list of courses offered visit the undergraduate courses page.