Application InformationPlease note that our application deadline for Fall 2019 admission is December 15th, 2018. Applications submitted after December 15th will not be reviewed and application fees will not be refunded.
All applicants must apply directly to The Graduate School (TGS) between September 5th and December 15th of the year preceding admission. Applicants are only admitted for the fall quarter of each academic year. The Department normally funds all those it admits.
Graduate School admission information
Detailed information on Application
Send the following materials directly to The Graduate School:
- Application Fee (application fees are paid online via credit card only)
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required from all applicants. To be considered valid for Fall 2019 admission, GRE scores must be no older than September 2014. Please request that ETS send your GRE scores to The Graduate School using our ETS institution code of 1565.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language score (TOEFL) (required of all international students). Minimum score is 100 on the internet based test (iBT). Official scores must be taken no more than two (2) years before the intended quarter of entry and must come directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). While TOEFL is the preferred test, we do accept IELTS scores and require a minimum overall score of 7.0. Official IELTS scores must be no more than two (2) years before the intended quarter of entry and must come from IELTS directly.
- We strongly recommend that you include a copy of your unofficial score reports (GRE and TOEFL, if applicable) with your online application. Applications are not marked complete until official scores have arrived from ETS to the Graduate School.
- It is also recommended that you take your test(s) one to two months before the admission deadline, as late scores will hold up your application.
- All material must be received by the December 15th deadline to avoid delays with your application
- Statement of Purpose
- A copy of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions are required.
- The exception is if the class, and its grade, appear on another school’s transcript that is already being uploaded to your application.
- This includes partial post-secondary education, where a degree was not completed.
- Do not send official transcripts to the Sociology Department, a copy of your transcript is sufficient for review purposes.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Maximum of three (3) letters of recommendation
- Letters must be received by December 15th deadline
- One (1) Writing sample: social scientific papers are preferred, but not required
- Maximum of 30 pages
- Applicant must be sole-author of writing sample.
- Diversity Statement (for U.S. Citizens only)
- Cluster Statement
- Upload statement under Cluster Statement
- Quantitative Fellowship Statement*
- Upload as supplemental document 1
- Must include "Quantitative Fellowship Statement" at the top of the page.
- Data Science Fellowship Statement*
- Upload as supplemental document 2
- Must include "Data Science Fellowship Statement" at the top of the page.
Note on supplemental documents: NO supplemental documents other than the Quantitative Fellowship and Data Science Fellowship statements will be accepted. All other supplemental documents will be removed from applications prior to review.Back to top